Monday, April 14, 2008

4 Month Check Up

So Lily had her 4 month regular check up today which means vaccination time. You know I'm fine, I prepare myself and wait for that moment where I can scoop her up in my arms, hold her tight, and tell her mama loves her. This is how it should go right? Oh but no. Let me tell you what really happened. I mentioned to the nurse before she shot up my daughter, that I wanted to feed her right after she was done. She smiled at me and said "that's fine...as long as I can love on her when I'm done". I kinda stood there and grinned back, not knowing what to say. Well sure enough when she gave her that last shot it happened. My daughter is lying there turning blue from lack of oxygen because she forgot to breath while she was screaming and the nurse scooped her up and stood there comforting her. My heart broke. This was MY moment to comfort my daughter. I was suppose to make her feel better. Don't get me wrong, she is a really good nurse and LOVES children, which is why she wanted to hold her. But some things shouldn't be taken away from a mama. Anyway, this could be me just being overly sensitive, but it really did make me upset. I will however, make sure it will not happen next time.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, yeah, ummm, no. I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the same nurse...I love his nurses but there is a nurse that wants to do the loving because she was the one to cause the pain, but seriously, she should know better by now. I feel ya, I would have just stood there in shock myself, and then blogged about it, much like you :)

Melissa said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! One of his nurses did that to me one time, but I don't think I was as nice as you. =) LoL - she means well, but I agree...that is not a moment to take from Momma.

Life as Connor and Colby's Mom said...

It is funny b/c we all use the same doctor so it probably is the same nurse. Although she has never done that to me but come to think about it...I don't know if she has ever given shots to my kid. Only because Connor started that study and the study nurses gave him the shots. I hate that happened. She does mean well. Next time just grab your baby first.

Ashlie said...

Poor Lisa! I've never even thought about how that might hurt a Mama's feelings! Can you tell I don't have kids yet? I agree with Christy, just grab Lily before she can get her next time! Or you could brave (which I probably wouldn't be) and tell her how you feel. She's probably never even thought about how it makes the moms feel! You might be doing everybody a big favor if you clue the nurse in!

Lacy said...

Awwe that's a bummer--You should have started crying too then maybe you could have at least gotten close to your baby when the nurse picked you up and held you too! :)

destiny said...

Awww how sad. You just grab that sweet girl up next time--you'll be ready! I've never had that happen, but I know that feeling of wanting to comfort them immediately.